The Hares Hill Road Bridge is a single span, 103- 4 long, wrought-iron, tied-arch structure with lattice infilling. It was built in 1869 in Chester County, Pennsylvania by Moseley Iron Bridge and Roof Company. Abraham Taney, Jr., a mason contractor and fabricator, erected the bridge in 1869. Stone masonry abutments support the superstructure and the open grid deck. Over the years, the bridge has had extensive rehabilitations.
The structure is listed in the National Register and has a high degree of historical and technological significance: it is the only known surviving example of Thomas William Moseley patented "Wrought Iron Lattice Girder Bridge. The bridge has been recorded for the Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record (HABS/HAER) with detailed drawings, photographs and a substantial historical narrative. The structure carries one lane of traffic on S.R. 1045 (Hares Hill Road) across French Creek. Residences are located along the north bank of French Creek and a wooded area runs along the south bank.
The abutments are founded on rock and consist of random rubble mortared sandstone. They are 20 feet (6.1 m) long, 7 feet (2.1 m) wide at the base, have a batter of to the foot, and are about 12 feet (3.7 m) high above low water. Concrete pedestals have replaced the original stone-bearing seats. Wing walls extend approximately 60 feet (18 m) with a slight flare on the south side. The north wings are about 20 feet (6.1 m) long.
The original superstructure consisted of the 2 wrought-iron arched girders with lattice webbing and a timber floor system. The arch girders are made up of a pair of -bars riveted to a central plate diaphragm. Diagonal latticing fills the web between the upper and lower portions of the plate. Each arch has 7 vertical members which support the floor system, along with the lattice and bottom tie plate. Bowstring-type tie rods extend diagonally from the bottom of the center vertical on both sides of each arch.
The HABS/HAER narrative cites 3 major rehabilitations.
While the bridge is currently painted yellow, it was painted silver for many years and local residents still refer to it as the ilver Bridge.
In 2009, PennDoT is programmed to spend $1.7 million to rehabilitate this bridge to improve its load capacity without interfering with its historical nature.
East Pikeland Township, Pennsylvania
Moseley Wrought Iron Arch Bridge
"Hares Hill Bridge". Structurae [en]: Hare's Hill Road Bridge (1869). http://en.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?ID=s0005836.
"Hares Hill Road Bridge, Spanning French Creek, Kimberton, Chester County, PA". Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey. http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hhh.pa2261.
"DISCOVERING ZENAS KING". Paper delivered to the Society for Industrial Archeology by Allan King Sloan 1999 June 5, 1999 - Savannah, Georgia. http://www.kingbridgeco.com/siapaper.html.
^ "Hare's Hill Road Bridge". http://www.dvrpc.org/asp/TIPsearch/2009/PA/TIP-Search/DetailPrintTIP.asp?projid=13885&searchtype=TIP. Retrieved 2009-07-10.
Hares Hill Bridge at Structurae
History of Kimberton Inn
Crossroads of Kimberton
Discovering Zenas King
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Categories: Wrought iron bridges | Bridges in Pennsylvania | Bridges completed in 1869 | Bridges on the National Register of Historic Places | National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania | Chester County, Pennsylvania | Tied arch bridges